Serving Students in Southwest North Dakota
The West River Student Services Unit believes in the inherent worth of the individual of each and every child. The Unit and its affiliated school districts believe in the right of every child to grow into a respected, functioning member of society. The role of each participating school district is to provide instruction that will prepare each child to the best of his/her ability. This requires consideration for the needs of the whole child and implies attention to the following areas:
- access to the general education curriculum,
- parent involvement,
- problem solving skills,
- social skills and emotional well being,
- discipline and behavior issues,
- skills necessary for gainful employment at a level to the individual student,
- other skills that will increase the ability of the student to live independently in an increasing complex world.
The West River Student Services Unit and its affiliated school districts believe that this philosophy includes the right of every student, regardless of any disabling condition, to receive a free and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment.